You are here

Visa information

The following information is provided for guidance only; it is not necessarily authoritative or complete. The Italian Ministry of Foreign Affairs visa website provides authoritative visa information.

Do you need a visa?

Australian citizens travelling on an Australian passport to study in Italy for periods of up to 90 days no longer require a student visa.

If you don’t have an Australian passport, but are a citizen of a country that is exempt from applying for a visitor visa to enter Italy, you also no longer require a student visa for periods of study in Italy of up to 90 days. Please refer to the Italian Ministry of Foreign Affairs website for a  complete list of countries whose citizens are exempt from applying for a visitor visa to enter Italy and make sure you check this list before applying to study at the Prato Centre as it may be subject to change. If you are travelling on a passport of a country whose citizens require a visitor visa to enter Italy (including China, South Africa, and Indonesia) you need to apply for a student visa. Please contact Monash Abroad for more information.

The same regulations apply to Australian citizens travelling to Italy on an Australian passport (and to citizens of countries who are exempt from applying for a visitor visa) for business, including teaching, and participation in a seminar, workshop or conference.

Permit to Stay

If you intend to stay in Italy or the Schengen area for more than 90 days you must apply for both a visa before departure and also a permit to stay (permesso di soggiorno) within 8 days of arrival in Italy.

Declaration of Presence

Irrespective of your visa status in Italy, you must make a declaration of presence (dichiarazione di presenza) within 8 days of arrival.

If you arrive in Italy from outside the Schengen area (e.g., from Australia, Canada, South Africa, Malaysia or the US), the declaration of presence can be done by having your passport stamped on arrival with a Schengen stamp. If you arrive from inside the Schengen area (Austria, Belgium, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Luxemburg, The Netherlands, Portugal, Spain, Sweden, Iceland and Norway), you are required to make a declaration of presence within 8 days of arrival. If you are staying at a hotel or similar, the management will do this for you. If you stay in private accommodation and your passport is not stamped at the airport, you need to file your declaration at the questura (police station).

The declaration of presence is a different document from the permit to stay and is required by Italian immigration law.The absence of an entry stamp from the initial Schengen port of entry could result in a fine or create difficulties during subsequent encounters with local police or other authorities throughout the Schengen area.

Need help with your Permit to Stay or Declaration of Presence?

If you go to the police station yourself to organise your Permit to Stay and Declaration of Presence it can be a very lengthy process especially if language barriers exist. The Monash Prato Centre has arranged for an external organisation to help you fulfil these legal obligations. Please note that there are costs associated with filing your permit to stay (about €120.00) that you should carefully consider before applying. Please contact Loredana D’Elia or Mariagiulia Da Riva in Student Services before your arrival for more information. 

Consular contact information

For residents of Australia travelling to Italy

The Italian Embassy in Canberra has a listing of Italian Consulates in Australia.

The Italian Consulate in Melbourne is located at:
509 St Kilda Road, 3004 Melbourne
Tel. : +613 9867 5744
Fax: +613 9866 3932

For students and staff requiring consular assistance in Italy

Australian Embassy in Rome
Via Antonio Bosio 5
00161 Rome
Tel.: +39 06 852 721
Opening hours: 9am – 5pm, Monday to Friday