- short non-credit program
- Italian language and culture basics to help you get around Prato
- fun small group sessions
- up-to-date content and multimedia tools
- interactive activities and practical exercises
- experienced local teachers and guides
Who can Parliamo?
- students doing courses at the Monash University Prato Centre for at least 3 weeks
- academic and administrative staff accompanying students
- learn some basic Italian communication skills to help you get around Prato
- understand the history and contemporary reality of Prato
- deepen your inter-cultural learning during and beyond your stay
- meet locals for language and cultural exchange
- get a certificate of attendance upon completion of the program
How long is Parliamo?
- 4 one-hour classes and 1 cooking class (around 2 hours)
When is Parliamo?
- year-round (except January and July when you can take a for-credit Italian Language Course)
NB: We need a minimum of 8 participants to run the program so tell your friends!
Where is Parliamo?
- Monash University Prato Centre
- sites in historic city centre
What will I learn and do in Parliamo?
Session 1 – Prato tour and Treasure hunt (after orientation)
- personal introductions
- Prato tour
- treasure hunt
Session 2 - Workshop: Italian gestures and body language
- video-recorded (optional)
- role-play of one or more everyday situations
- re-telling/building the storyline by relying on the gestures, with no speech
Session 3 - Outdoor task
- assignment of tasks to complete within class time (i.e. students go out and order a coffee)
- description of their experiences
- focus on differences in how people talk, how they use body language, whether they use formal and/or informal modes of address, etc…
- a framework for active reflection on inter-cultural experiences
Session 4 - Workshop: Communicating in Italian
- use of videos prepared in class
- re-building of the dialogues/conversations by re-arranging the various information
Session 5 - Cooking class
- visit to a restaurant
- the restaurant’s cook leads the class
NB: We can tailor the program content to your study discipline and experience.
For an additional fee, you can take an optional in-depth guided site visit in Prato.
- Textile Museum
- Cathedral of Saint Stephen (Duomo)
- Cathedral Museum
- Palazzo Datini
- Palazzo Pretorio Museum
- Luigi Pecci Centre for Contemporary Art
- Museum of Wall Painting
- Metastasio Theatre
- Fresco studio in Vainella
- a textile factory
What is the fee for Parliamo?
$150 AUD (excluding optional site visit). The fee includes the cooking class and meal to follow; course booklet and materials.
Enrol in Parliamo!
Complete the online enrolment form and pay the fee. Upon submission of the enrolment form you will be re-directed to the payment page.
NB: You must enrol and pay online at least 2 weeks prior to the start date of your main course. We will refund your payment if we do not reach the minimum needed of 8 participants.
Find out more about Parliamo!
Contact Loredana D’Elia, Academic Programs and Internships Coordinator